Food Recalls (FDA)
Haig’s Delicacies Announces Voluntary Recall of Tzatziki, Falafel, Spanakopita andPublished on Thursday, 27 December 2012 01:20
- Category: Food Recalls (FDA)
Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Haig's Delicacies Announces Voluntary Recall of Tzatziki, Falafel, Spanakopita and Tyropita due to Undeclared Allergens
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Hayward, CA - December 21, 2012 - Haig's Delicacies of Hayward, CA is recalling all Tzatziki, Falafel, Spanakopita and Tyropita because the product labels do not include Allergy Statements reflecting the use of the following food allergens:
- Tzatziki is being recalled because of the undeclared use of a food allergen (milk).
- Falafel is being recalled because of the undeclared use of a food allergen (wheat).
- Spanakopita and Tyropita are being recalled because of the undeclared use of food allergens (wheat, milk and eggs).
People who have allergy or severe sensitivity to wheat, milk and eggs run the risk of life threatening allergic reaction, anaphylaxis, that required immediate medical care if they consume the product.
- Tzatziki is a Greek Yogurt, cucumber and dill dip/spread which is packaged in 8oz retail round deli containers and 5lb bulk foodservice cases.
- Falafels are fried garbanzo bean balls which are packaged in 5oz retail rectangular deli containers and 5lb bulk foodservice cases.
- Spanakopita is a triangular phyllo dough pastry with a spinach and cheese filling which is packaged only in bulk foodservice cases.
- Tyropita is a triangular phyllo dough pastry with a cheese filling which is packaged only in bulk foodservice cases.
Haig's Delicacies wants to ensure its products are safe. Consequently, in addition to its ongoing cooperation with the California Department of Public Health, Haig's Delicacies is voluntarily recalling all of these items from all of its customers.
Haig's Delicacies has immediately segregated its entire inventory and is notifying consumers and customers not to consume this product if they have these allergy sensitivities. The company has already addressed this issue by updating all labels to include the Allergen Statements.
Consumers in possession of these products should not eat the product if they have these allergy sensitivities and should return the product to the place of purchase.
Haig's Delicacies will be sending recall notices to all of its direct customers. Please call Mark Takvorian at 510-782-6285 for further information.
Photo: Product Labels
Recalled Product Photos Are Also Available on FDA's Flickr Photostream.
Read More » http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm333428.htm