Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Intro
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Welcome to the Food Fact's forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Intro

Intro 1 year, 3 months ago #111

• jenry
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi. My name is Jennifer. I'm new to this site. I have had migraines all my life, and they have been getting worse and more frequent. I read the book Heal Your Headache by David Buchholz. The premise of the book is that we can control the frequency of migraines by controlling what we eat, by eliminating the food triggers; MSG, aged cheese, processed meats, nuts, etc.

I have cut out the migraine triggers completely since Monday, but mostly by eating just a few items I know are safe. But I am now starting the delve deeper into what foods I can eat, hoping to expand the variety a bit.

I stumbled on this site while searching for a bit more detail on the ingredients of a bag of chips. The bag says "No MSG", but in the ingredient list it shows Malted Barley... which "may contain" MSG according to several sources.

I am hoping to find others that are eating similar diets, and share recipes (ok, steal recipes would be more accurate since I don't have any to share yet).

Jennifer

Re: Intro--MSG info and recipes 1 year, 3 months ago #112

• SistineKid
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Jennifer,
I have found www.msgmyth.com to be very helpful in providing info on how to avoid MSG (and its many aliases) as well as giving recipes and food tips. I've been struggling with migraines and it's given me my life back.
SK

Re: Intro 1 year, 3 months ago #113

• director
  • Administrator
  • Managing Director at Foodfacts.com
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for posting in the forum. As always, foodfacts recommends that you discuss any dietary or nutritional needs or concerns with a medical professional; we're here to provide information, but we can't provide medical advice.

MSG is a big topic here at foodfacts, because it can be called many different things AND because your body can manufacture it out of free glutamates. We have an article on that here: www.foodfacts.com/controversial/monosodium-glutamate-msg

It's important to note that products can claim "no MSG" and still contain either MSG or the free glutamates that become MSG in your body. While the FDA rules regarding labeling and glutamic acid are lax, the Canadian food labeling guide prohibits the use of "MSG Free" on any product unless it can be proven that there are no detectable glutamates in the product; this includes natural sources of free glutamates such as tomatoes and grapes. These can all cause reactions in those sensitive to glutamates, which is why we label it with an MSG icon - so that those sensitive to glutamates will have all relevant information available to them. We consider information from all major health sources, such as research institutes and governmental agencies (both US and foreign), when determining what may or may not be controversial.

This can make MSG really hard to avoid; you may know to look out for yeast extract and hydrolyzed proteins, but not all msg-linked items are as easily identifiable. That's why our side lets members filter out foods with MSG or msg-linked ingredients!
Our Foodfacts Health Score is not meant to be a final judgment on a product, but a guideline to help consumers navigate the often confusing world of ingredient lists and nutritional labels. Read more about the score: bit.ly/11g45Cn
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds