Tabasco Brand Green Pepper Sauce
The pepper sauce that Edmund McIlhenny created in 1868 on Avery Island is much the same TABASCOÂ® Sauce that is produced today, on that very same site. The basic recipe, the process by which itâ€™s made, and the ingredients remain unchanged. And five generations of McIlhennys and employees have dedicated themselves to preserving its legacy. After the peppers are picked, they are mashed and then mixed with a small amount of Avery Island salt, extracted from the salt mines that lie beneath the Island. The pepper mash is placed in white oak barrels, and the wooden tops of the barrels are then covered with more Avery Island salt, which acts as a natural barrier to protect the barrelsâ€™ contents. The mash is allowed to ferment and then age for up to three years in the McIlhenny warehouse. The mash is inspected by a member of the McIlhenny family. When approved, the fully-aged mash is then blended with high quality distilled vinegar. Numerous stirrings and about four weeks later, the pepper skins, pulp and seeds are strained out using 3 different-sized screens. Then the â€œfinishedâ€� sauce is bottled by modern methods, labeled in 22 languages and dialects, and prepared for shipment to over 160 countries and territories around the world.