Sulphur Sulfur Dioxide
Sulfur dioxide might not sound good enough to eat, but this food preservative does make its way into a number of edibles, including dried fruits such as raisins, dried apricots and prunes. Sulfur dioxide is one type of sulfite, a preservative whose name might be more familiar. Even a small amount of sulfite can wreak health havoc if you're sensitive to it. If you have asthma, sulfite sensitivity or sulfite allergy, eating dried fruits might cause serious health problems, including breathing problems, life-threatening allergy-like symptoms or, in rare cases, death.
To avoid sulfites in dried fruit, choose organic brands that don't use preservatives including sulfur dioxide, in their produce. Organic dried fruits won't last as long as fruits containing preservatives, but freezing fruit will extend its shelf life, according to National Geographic.