Hubbard squash is another cultivar of this species that usually has a tear-drop shape. They are often used as a replacement for pumpkins. According to one source, the name comes from Bela Hubbard, settler of Randolph Township, Ohio in the Connecticut Western Reserve. Many other sources list an alternate history. These sources state that the Hubbard squash (at the time nameless) came to Marblehead, Massachusetts through Captain Knott Martin. A woman named Elizabeth Hubbard brought the fruit to the attention of her neighbor, a seed trader named James J. H. Gregory. Mr. Gregory subsequently introduced it to the market using Mrs. Hubbard's name as the eponym. Gregory later bred and released the Blue Hubbard, which has a bluish-gray skin. The other major variety, the Golden Hubbard squash, has a bright orange skin. Gregory advertisements for the squash date from at least 1859. The Hubbard Squash, including questions regarding the name, is even the subject of a children's ditty, "Raising Hubbard Squash in Vermont"