ingredient information
Fish Cod Liver Oil
AAA
Oil from fish contains eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA); both are omega-3 fatty acids. Most fish oil supplements are 18% EPA and 12% DHA, or a total of 30% omega-3. These omega-3 fatty acids, unlike the omega-3 fatty acid found in flaxseed oil and other vegetable oils (such as alpha linolenic acid), keep blood triglycerides in check (high triglycerides are generally linked with increased risk of heart disease) and may inhibit the progression of atherosclerosis.1 EPA and DHA keep blood from clotting too quickly. EPA and DHA also have anti-inflammatory activity. As a result, fish oil is used to help people with various inflammatory conditions, such as Crohn’s disease2 and rheumatoid arthritis.3 The anti-inflammatory effects of EPA and DHA may also account for the findings of some reports that show fish oil supplementation helps some people with kidney diseases4 5 6 and may help protect against chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.7 The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil help to balance the omega-6 fatty acids, which are found mostly in vegetable oils. When these two groups of fatty acids are out of balance, the body releases chemicals that promote inflammation. People appear to produce more of these inflammatory chemicals when experiencing psychological stress (e.g., academic examinations). With a fatty acid imbalance, inflammatory response to stress appears to be amplified.8